The objective of this session is: To learn about basic characteristics and functions of the GOES satellite: environmental sensing and other tasks, channels, image resolution, location, coverage, and schedules.
Training Session Options:
- Web-based training session
– a “stand alone” version viewed via a Web browser, with embedded talking points included. This lesson version may be viewed at any time and takes 30 minutes These slides are ideal for printing from the web-browser, just print preview first to choose portrait or landscape mode.
- Audio playback – This VISITview file contains recorded audio and annotations and can be taken at anytime. Create a directory to download the audio playback file (it is about 13 MB in size) from the following site: audio download version After extracting the files into that directory click on the visitplay.bat file to start the lesson.
Note: Be sure to have your speakers on and the volume loud enough to hear the presentation. Two separate windows will appear after starting the module. One of them is a playback control window, allowing you to change slides (they are changed automatically by default), click on slide 1 at the top to begin the presentation. (Sometime the playback control window is hidden under the next window – the controls frame.) The other window is the controls frame, this is where you can click the See URL button whenever it is highlighted to bring up a separate browser that goes to the URL listed on the page.
- Space Systems Loral, 1996 : GOES I-M DataBook Can be found online
- NOAA/NESDIS Satellite and Information Service, Satellite Services Division: look for GOES Satellite Operations
- GOES Frequently Asked Questions for Forecasters (On the VISIT homepage)
- NOAAPORT User’s page: Latitude/Longitude Dimensions of Remapped GOES/Composite Imager Products