Other Contributors: Scott Bachmeier, Russ Dengel, Jordan Gerth, Steve Wanzong
This is a basic teletraining module to describe the flow of CRAS forecast imagery into AWIPS. Topics covered include:
- CRAS Model description:
- Satellite information used
- Horizontal Dissipation effects
- Data flow from CRAS to AWIPS
- Window Channel and water vapor model imagery
Training Session Options
NOAA/NWS students – to begin the training, use the web-based video, YouTube video, or audio playback options below (if present for this session). Certificates of completion for NOAA/NWS employees can be obtained by accessing the session via the Commerce Learn Center
- Audio playback (recommended for low-bandwidth users) – This is an audio playback version in the form of a downloadable VISITview and can be taken at anytime.
Create a directory to download the audio playback file (114 MB) from the following link: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/training/visit/training_sessions/cras_forecast_imagery_in_awips/cras_forecast_imagery_in_awips_audio.exe
After extracting the files into that directory click on either the visitplay.bat or visitauto.bat file to start the lesson. If both files are present, use visitauto.bat
- Talking points are available for this lesson and may be printed out to easily review the session in detail at any time.
- CRAS Forecast Products
- Bayler, G., R. M. Aune and W. H. Raymond: 2000: NWP cloud initialization using GOES sounder data and improved modeling of nonprecipitating clouds. Mon. Wea. Rev., 128,3911-3920.
- Raymond, W. H., 1988: High-order low-pass implicit tangent filters for use in finite area calculations. Mon. Wea. Rev., 116, 2132-2141.
- Raymond, W. H. and R. B. Stull, 1990: Application of transilient turbulence theory to mesoscale numerical weather forecasting. Mon. Wea. Rev., 118, 2471-2499.
- Raymond, W. H. and Arthur Garder, 1991: A review of recursive and implicit filters. Mon. Wea. Rev., 119, 477-495.
- Raymond, W. H., W. S. Olson and G. Callan, 1995: Diabatic Forcing and initialization with assimilation of cloud water and rainwater in a forecast model. Mon. Wea. Rev., 123, 366-382.
- Raymond, W. H. and R. M. Aune, 1998: Improved precipitation forecasts using parameterized feedbacks in a hydrostatic forecast model. Mon. Wea. Rev., 126, 693-710.
- Raymond, W. H., 1999: Non-local turbulent mixing based on convective adjustment concepts (NTAC). Bound. Layer Meteor., 92, 263-291.
- Raymond, W. H., 2000: Estimating moisture profiles using a modified power law. J. Appl. Meteor., 39, 1059-1070.
- Raymond, W. H., 2000: Moisture advection using relative humidity. J. Appl. Meteor., 39, 2397-2408.
- Raymond, W. H. and R. M. Aune, 2003: Conservation of moisture in a Kuo-type cumulus parameterization. Mon. Wea. Rev., 131, 771-779.