Charles Kadin, Richard Borneman, and Jay Hanna (NOAA/NESDIS/SAB), Roderick Scofield and Robert Kuligowski (NOAA/NESDIS/ORA)
- Hydro-estimator overview
- The SAB precipitation program
- Operational use of the hydro-estimator plus examples
- Current and future improvements
- Understand what the hydroestimator is
- Learn about the precipitation program of the NESDIS Satellite Analysis Branch
- Learn how to evaluate and use H-E satellite precipitation estimates for Forecast Office/River Forecast Center operations, particularly as heavy rain/flash flood guidance
Training Session Options
NOAA/NWS students – to begin the training, use the web-based video, YouTube video, or audio playback options below (if present for this session). Certificates of completion for NOAA/NWS employees can be obtained by accessing the session via the Commerce Learn Center
- Web-based video that can be taken at anytime (streamed, not recommended for low-bandwidth users). Be sure to have your speakers on and the volume loud enough to hear the presentation. Also be sure that you are using a flash enabled browser.
- Audio playback (recommended for low-bandwidth users) – This is an audio playback version in the form of a downloadable VISITview and can be taken at anytime.
Create a directory to download the audio playback file (37 MB) from the following link: http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/training/visit/training_sessions/the_satellite_rainfall_hydro-estimator/the_satellite_rainfall_hydro-estimator_audio.exe
After extracting the files into that directory click on either the visitplay.bat or visitauto.bat file to start the lesson. If both files are present, use visitauto.bat
- Talking points are available for this lesson and may be printed out to easily review the session in detail at any time.
Web Sites for Satellite Rainfall Estimates: