The Tropical Cyclone PRecipitation, Infrared, Microwave, and Environmental Dataset (TC PRIMED) is a comprehensive 22-year (1998 to 2019) dataset of global tropical cyclone satellite passive microwave observations. The dataset encompasses over 174,000 TC overpasses of 2,102 storms.
TC PRIMED serves as an analysis- and AI-ready dataset for use in applications to improve our understanding about tropical cyclone processes by combining disparate sources of data.
What are the data products?
- Inter-calibrated, multi-channel microwave brightness temperatures
- NASA’s Goddard Profiling Algorithm (GPROF)
- Geostationary satellite infrared imagery
- ECMWF ERA5 reanalysis fields and derived environmental diagnostics
- TRMM/GPM precipitation radar variables
For more information about TC PRIMED, see the project page.
A sampling of TC PRIMED products from Typhoon Maria (2018) at 10:13 UTC on 9 July 2018 in the western Pacific, where a) is GPROF, b) is GPM DPR precipitation rate, c) GPM DPR reflectivity, d) 36.6 GHz, e) 89 GHz, and IR from Himawari-8.